Happy New Year from The Schleicher Spin!
We’ve finally reached the year named after my favorite comedy of all-time (yes, I’m talking about Roland Emmerich’s 2012 - have I not told you already how much I love this film?) and I couldn’t be more stoked! We have so much to look forward to this year: Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises, the US presidential election, the Mayan Apocalypse and 27 new reality shows starring the Kardashians!
But first…a look back on 2011. It was a record-breaking year in terms of readership here at The Spin and we couldn’t have done it without the tireless commenting and blogging of our friends across the blogosphere: Sam Juliano, Jason Marshall, Dianne Glave, John Lehman, John Greco, Prakash Jashnani, Julio Ibanez, Christopher Tait, The Guy from Condemned Movies, CC Yager, Matt Stewart, Matterspamer, ScarletSp1der, Maurizio Roca, Bobby Myers, Stephen M, Nicky D, Boz and everyone else who has stopped by and shared their thoughts this past year.
Here are some of the highlights from 2011:
- Two Posts from The Spin were certified as Freshly Pressed by WordPress: Guest Blogger Nicky D’s highly controversial Best Comedies of All Time list and my review of Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
- The most talked about film of the year was Terrence Malick’s The Tree of Life.
- The most popular feature was yet again the Boardwalk Empire weekly episode guide.
- The most bewildering (and ignored) post was my bizarre attempt at combining film criticism with comedy in The Mirror of Film.
- My proudest moment was the launch of my new digital literary magazine, The Stone. Stay tuned in 2012 for future issues!
And what’s in store for 2012?
- Reviews of Michael Ondaatje’s new novel The Cat’s Table and hopefully of all those films I missed at the tail end of 2011 (Hugo, The Artist and A Separation)
- The 6th Annual Davies Awards in Film
- More issues of The Stone
- More Guest Bloggers (hopefully)
- …and coverage of the year’s most anticipated film: Christopher “Fritz” Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises