I’ve returned from my vacation to North Carolina renewed and refreshed. During my time away…
1. I discovered Graham Greene makes for shockingly good beach reading. His Tenth Man, with all its wartime noir and identity swapping, would’ve made a splendid plot for an Alfred Hitchcock film.
2. I grew closer to starting my next novel. The change of scenery inspired some detailed outlining and the genesis of character names. The opening line is just around the corner.
3. I nursed a bad sunburn on my forearms. Ironically it was from time spent at a Phillies’ game the weekend prior and not from any time on the beach.
4. I traipsed around some old haunts with some old friends. Thankfully that first place we erroneously stepped into on Wrightsville Beach was not our beloved Dockside, and that wonderful establishment still stands as is a few buildings down the road with a much improved menu. It’s funny how memory plays tricks on you and you swear something was right here when in fact it was always over there. Check out http://www.docksidelife.com for more on this great spot if you plan to visit the area.
5. I attended a lovely wedding with an overflowing open bar. Jack Daniels, my old friend, it had been too long!
6. And divine joy of fast-food joys–I dined at Bojangles twice–gotta lotta flava’ y’all!
The following pictures were all taken at Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina and the surrounding Wilmington area. Continue reading